1/17/09 My Instructions

First, I have learned I will be receiving daily injections the week after chemo. They can not give me shots at the time I receive chemo. They are given to boost my white blood cells to fight infections. Next week I stop by the treatment room anytime from 8-4 and I go 1/19 through 1/23. I receive the shots in the back of my arm in the fatty area. Ha, that will be hard to find on me =).

Definition -
What is Neupogen (filgrastim)?: Neupogen (filgrastim) is a drug given to patients who have neutropenia (low neutrophil count). An injection of Neupogen stimulates white blood cell production. It is a clear liquid that is usually given as a shot (injection). Use For Breast Cancer: Chemotherapy for breast cancer affects all the rapidly dividing cells in your body, including bone marrow cells, which produce white and red blood cells and platelets. Fewer bone marrow cells means less blood cells. If your CBC shows that your neutrophil count is low, you may be neutropenic. Injections of Neupogen can boost production of your neutrophils, a special type of white blood cell that helps your body fight infection.

I need to-
  • Stay away from Walmart or public places as such
  • Not get a fever - call Doc immediately is over 100.5
  • Do not get sick or I can't get my chemo
  • Wash hands frequently and use sanitizing hand gel often
  • Eat six smaller meals instead of 3 large
  • Due to mouth sores possible to develop - stay away from high acidity, carbonation drinks, etc. Regular tea mixed with Green tea is good.
  • Drink lots of clear liquids to help flush the chemo
  • Flush twice for two days after chemo because of the toxins
  • Wear a mask if needed to keep germs away
  • Stay away from greasy foods and eat healthier but get the calories in
  • and an entire list of "watch fors"
Some of this will be difficult since I work at the Front Desk of a hotel.

The Doc. called in a prescription for two nauseous pills for me to my pharmacy and both cost $178.00. I am taking some nauseous pills I already had at home that are less dosage to see how I do first.

I am a little nauseous, the headaches are worse and I just feel tired and queezy. Just small bursts of energy here and there.

Our grandbaby has a Dr. Appt because she has a cold or something but I hope to see her tomorrow and I will wear a mask if needed. Also, on her next monthly shots she is injected with a virus and they have been told to keep away from anyone taking chemo for a few weeks. This will bother me more than anything.

I think I covered everything. Oh, and I watched Amadeus and Ghandi again this weekend. Of course, I fall asleep and have to watch them in segments. Ha

Have a blessed day!

1 comment:

The Landrum's said...

Love you momma. Ellie is excited to see you today.